Friday, March 11, 2011

Trophy fishing in retirement

Minnesota’s fishing season for walleye and northern opens soon. Two hours north of me is the ”Walleye  Factory”, Mile Lacs lake. Around that lake is a whole bunch of littler lakes that are great to fish for anything else. They are also great to fish in windy or unstable weather. No one want’s to be caught out in the middle of Mile Lacs if a storm pops up.
Any way I anticipate we will be doing a lot of fishing when both of us have a lot of time on our hands. We’ve been fishing together and with our children for over 30yrs. I caught my first trophy walleye when I was 8 and my first trophy northern pike a few minutes later. Again, I was lucky, my father brought me everywhere fishing. We went on three Canadian Fishing trips together. Thanks DAD! In the mean time I’ve learned a few of the lake fishing rules, not river fishing, that’s something entirely different.
These three rules never change no matter what Country or state you are fishing in: 1 Go where the fish are, 2 Go where the bait fish are, 3. Use the right tackle and bait for the species.
Fish like a certain kind of habitat within a lake. The DNR will tell you specifically what is in a particular lake. Near us is a lake that has mostly pan fish. We aren’t going to try to go for walleye or northern in that lake! The DNR will also tell how and where to catch them.
Watch where the wind blows. Lots of people believe the wind blows the bait fish to the far side of a lake, opposite from where the wind is coming from. So northern winds blows food to the south end of the lake. But when you look at what fish bite on you really have to wonder. Walleye feed on both minnows and mayflies’ hatching. Minnows like rocky shores on any side of a lake. Mayflies are out deep in a lake. Northern like to bite on red and white Daredevils along weed lines and deep holes. Bass hang out under docks, on any side of a lake. There, I’ve said it. Disagree if you will but I catch fish just fine thank you. One thing is for sure, the fish are where their food is. They aren’t swimming with their food, they are nearby. They swim where they are most comfortable near their food, usually swimming deeper, coming up once in a while to feed.
I’ve got two rods only. One is for northern; the other is for the little stuff like bass and the skittish walleye. Nothern run bigger, hit or bite harder, and fight something fierce. This calls for a strong, stiff rod, a real that can pull them in and line strong enough not to break. I use 45 lb test line at least, I’ve got an 18 inch steel leader as well. I always use a Dare Devil, red and white on one side and silver on the other. Walleye on the other hand are skittish and particular. My rod is light and very flexible. I had an Ugly Stick for a while but switched to something lighter. It’s loaded with 5lb test line and I even leave the bail open, feeling any activity with my fingers. Here in Minnesota Lindy Rigs are the order of the day, 14 ft long Lindy Rigs! Minnows are the bait.
My husband likes to bass fish. During that time I read. He casts a minnow under every protruding thing along the shore line. Anything that has a shadow.
Just following these simple rules increases your chances to catch fish. Many believe our success is affected by phases of the moon. Change in the angle of the light and unstable weather I do believe has an effect on when fish will bite more I do believe. I do know that when the walleye fishers go out at midnight on opener they’ve had to wait until daylight started breaking before anything bit. I am not this excited about fishing.
On a final note we find much information on where to fish, how to fish a local lake by hanging out with the locals! These people by nature are protective of their knowledge, unless you go into a bar. Yup, a couple of drinks and you have something to take notes by! They’ll share advice right down to what colored beads to use and what order to have them in on your rig! One huge tip to take though, don’t ask a lot of questions, just act interested in what they say. Even if they talk about their dog in the mean time, just look interested.  Also, knowing someone who lives in the area who is open to giving up their secrets is huge. If you don’t have access to these resources hire a guide for half a day planning on going back on your own to practice what you’ve learned. Think of it as a half day of school and probably fish as well! Watch everything they do, they do everything for a reason. There is a guide up near the Canadian border who has a twitch in his finger suddenly fishing for walleye, jerking the line just a little with his bale open. It must work for him!
So keep your eye on the sky and your nose to the grind stone. The fish aren’t going to jump into your boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment