Monday, January 31, 2011

I will smoke this year at the summer place!

My thoughts start to turn at this time of year to our summer place. This is the place where we plan on spending most of the summer during our retirement. I’m thinking this year would be a good year to get the smoker. Although you can simulate smoking on a grill, I think it’s time to think of a smoker I can start in the morning and let it go all day. I’d love to see some expert demos. But what I’m also thinking is the type of smoker may have to be a good sturdy smoker that can stand years of my abuse.
Before I make the big decision I also have to think about my strategy for what I’m going to cook. You have to remember my rules for cooking while at the summer place. It can’t be ornate, time consuming or difficult to put together. It can’t require a bunch of bowls and dishes to wash. It can take all day to cook but it can’t take much effort on my part to get it cooked. Theres lots of rules to avoid lots of work. I’ve spent 27 years slaving over a hot stove. It’s over.
Where to get the meat? Believe it or not my first destination is the club! Believe it or not, even though I cooking for only two I save a ton of money on meat alone at Sam’s or Costco. I can get a slab of some excellent salmon, beef brisket, ribs, skirt steak and hamburger. When I have to freeze some of it I turn to the vacuum seal, no freezer burn. I think the large containers of herbs and spices would be a good direction to go, once again saving money at the club.
I have a natural fear of aluminum when it comes to food, but if I leave the meat wrapped in the store wrapper and bring it up in the cooler I don’t have to worry about the possible mess when the cooler is opened once we arrive. Then if I bring the rub already combined in a zipper storage bag I will be able to start the process when we get there. Unwrap the meat get the rub on, rewrap the meat and place in a disposable baking pan. The food won’t come in contact with the aluminum and I can through the pan out! Now all I have to think about is the mop sauce and what I’m going to use for sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment