Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Plank cooking northern pike

Ok, I know its not summer yet. People who ice fish may like this idea, but for me it works out best to cook this on the outdoor fire. That doesn't start happening til April but thinking about and planning for "cooking on range" style can start in January. Planks Bought,not yet. Fish, to be caught. Northern really are our favorite fish when Walleye are being elusive.

You can buy your planks in grocery stores, outdoor gear stores and farm and garden stores. Just make sure they are made just for the purpose of cooking. Don't try to make your own. I use pine, maybe maple. The light delicate flavor of fish doesn't mix well with oak or mesquite.

You only need a couple of tbsp. of vegetable oil, peanut oil or maybe olive oil. I use Italian blend seasoning. Maybe some salt and pepper but that's it. This is amazingly tasty without a ton of calories. It just tastes sinful.

After you read the label on your planks you'll be looking for something that holds a fair amount of water. You have just done most of the work except for starting the coals or wood fire. No one can give you a general amount of time to soak planks. They come in so many shapes and sizes only the label can tell you for sure!

Now you gather 5 more things. The seasoning, salt, pepper, oil, and the "fish flipper. I bought mine as soon as I laid eyes on it. They usually come pretty thin so you can get between the fish and what its cooking on without leaving parts of it behind. They need to be a long flipping turner so you can actually pick up the whole fish. Cutting the fillet in half the short way works for me with the bigger northerns.

About 15 minutes before eating, yes this means everything else needs to be fully cooked, coat both sides of the first fillet with oil. I wait until its on its way to being fully cooked, then start seasoning. A little seasoning on the fire is good for flavoring they say, but I like the lack of a mess to clean up.

I turn it when it looks cooked, you know white, not grayish. Then I sprinkle the seasoning on the side facing up. Call people to eat when the last fillet is on the plank. when its done pull the fish and the plank off the fire.

Fish is about the only thing I cook on a plank and reuse the plank again, unless it's uselessly chared from the fire. I clean it with straight water. Never use soap because all wood is porous. Easy stuff. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment