Friday, November 12, 2010

Happily Ever After?

As I waited for my eyes to fully open this morning, sipping my coffee, for some reason I recalled a conversation I had years ago with a young man 20 years younger than myself. He had not yet found “the one”. He asked me what I think about the difference between young love and love years later. What does this have to do with retirement? If you’re married, EVERYTHING!
I do not think of my own relationship as the age old saying goes “Like a fine wine, it only gets better with age”. Ours more like an aged steak. We’ve got gristle in there. We have fat. With that we march toward retirement. This is the real world, no one is perfect and relationship challenges will always be there. Remember all those cute little quirks that person had before you got married? It didn’t take long for them to start to become irritating did it? Imagine what is going to happen when you both have to look at each other full time. That’s going to be your new full time job!
What makes me nervous about this is the people who have stayed together “for the sake of the children”, just to name one scenario. Make sure you are pointed in the right direction for YOU! We need to be happy in the home we’ve lived in through our working years and I don’t even want to think how one would go about getting a divorce after selling everything for the RV they now live in! It’s never too late to anchor your relationship. I highly recommend Marriage Encounters. Even just taking a good look at this site will help you with a tool of sorts for the future, if not now.
I’d like to think that my own retirement will not just be comfortable but happy as well! Until next time, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment