Thursday, November 18, 2010

Rethinking Retirement


I bring the subject of retirement up a lot with my friends. Of course I am mainly asking them what they are doing. Whether they’re there or not they are measuring what they are doing and wondering about the ways they can change it up. Even in retirement they look out for change and how they can control it. People thinking about that day looming in the future are very often too busy to think about how they are going to manage that time.
With this in mind it’s beginning to surprise me when people rethink their attitude about retirement and actually ask me my opinion. “I’ve got a whole blog on it”. However, it is because of those very people I dreamed this blog up!
Recently a woman who was just one breath away from retirement told me her biggest concern about that day. Her husband was retired for 10 years before her. She was looking forward to having enough time to keep her house clean and make meals?! She is as independent an individual as I am! She was working a 40 hour week and going home to a house her husband was in all day. She had to cook and clean upon returning home. He did nothing.
A few months after retiring she could be found roaming the neighborhood, cleaning up open areas just to get out of the house and not spend any money while there. What she’s doing with her free time now I don’t know but, I’m sure her house is clean and dinner is in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment